YourMentalHealth.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Social Anxiety Disorder

Go down

Social Anxiety Disorder Empty Social Anxiety Disorder

Post by YMH Thu May 28, 2015 9:35 pm

Social anxiety disorder (SAD), also known as social phobia, is an anxiety disorder characterised by an intense fear in one or more social situations causing considerable distress and impaired ability to function in at least some parts of daily life. These fears can be triggered by perceived or actual scrutiny from others. It is the most common anxiety disorder and one of the most common psychiatric disorders, with 12% of American adults having experienced it.

Physical symptoms often accompanying social anxiety disorder include excessive blushing, excess sweating, trembling, palpitations and nausea. Stammering may be present, along with rapid speech. Panic attacks can also occur under intense fear and discomfort. Some sufferers may use alcohol or other drugs to reduce fears and inhibitions at social events. It is common for sufferers of social phobia to self-medicate in this fashion, especially if they are undiagnosed, untreated, or both; this can lead to alcoholism, eating disorders or other kinds of substance abuse. SAD is sometimes referred to as an 'illness of lost opportunities' where 'individuals make major life choices to accommodate their illness. Standardized rating scales such as the Social Phobia Inventory, the SPAI-B and Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale can be used to screen for social anxiety disorder and measure the severity of anxiety.

The first line treatment for social anxiety disorder is cognitive behavioral therapy with medications recommended only in those who are not interested in therapy. Cognitive behavioral therapy is effective in treating social phobia, whether delivered individually or in a group setting. The cognitive and behavioral components seek to change thought patterns and physical reactions to anxiety-inducing situations. The attention given to social anxiety disorder has significantly increased since 1999 with the approval and marketing of drugs for its treatment. Prescribed medications include several classes of antidepressants: selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). Other commonly used medications include beta blockers and benzodiazepines.

YMH
Admin

https://yourmentalhealth.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Social Anxiety Disorder Empty Re: Social Anxiety Disorder

Post by Atomik Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:18 pm

I was prescribed Benzos for this and they worked. Only problem is you might end up relying on them. Defo see a psychotherapist!

Atomik

Back to top Go down

Post by ARK6 Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:40 pm

Atomik how long did you take benzos for? I've been taking 10 mg every day for nearly 1 year and my GP is talking about taking me off them now. I heard that there are some side effects did you get any?

I read this online but it says that they are addictive after 4 weeks:

If you have been taking a benzodiazepine or Z drug long-term (for more than four weeks) then it can be difficult to stop it because of withdrawal effects. However, this can be overcome in a variety of ways. One method is to switch whatever medicine you are on to an equivalent dose of diazepam. You can then gradually reduce the dose of diazepam at a pace that suits you. This keeps any withdrawal effects to a minimum. The dose reduction is commonly done gradually over several months until you eventually stop diazepam completely.

What are benzodiazepines and Z drugs?
Benzodiazepines are a group of medicines that are sometimes used to treat anxiety. Examples include diazepam, lorazepam, chlordiazepoxide and oxazepam. Some are also used as sleeping tablets. These include temazepam, loprazolam, lormetazepam and nitrazepam. Benzodiazepines are most often used for anxiety and sleeping problems, but they also have other uses. A dose of a benzodiazepine is often given before an operation or medical procedure (midazolam). Some benzodiazepines are occasionally used to treat muscle spasm (diazepam). Some benzodiazepines are used in treating epilepsy as they can prevent seizures (diazepam, clobazam and clonazepam). Others are used to help people who are dependent on alcohol and trying to stop (chlordiazepoxide).

Zaleplon, zolpidem, and zopiclone are other sleeping tablets but, strictly speaking, are not benzodiazepines. They are known as the Z drugs. However, they act in a similar way (they have a similar calming effect on the brain cells).

When you first start taking a benzodiazepine or Z drug, it usually works well to ease the symptoms of anxiety, or to cause sleep. You can usually stop a benzodiazepine or Z drug without any problems if you take it for just a short time (less than 2-4 weeks).

ARK6

Back to top Go down

Post by Atomik Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:49 pm

I was on them for about 8 months. I felt a bit weird when I stopped but it only lasted a few days. I tried to distract myself with a good movie and that helped. And grounding techniques.

Atomik

Back to top Go down

Post by Anxious Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:34 pm

Yeah Atomik I find a really good movie is a great way to level out. Also I started swimming recently at that helps loads!

Anxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Atomik Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:39 pm

Can't swim lol

Atomik

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down