YourMentalHealth.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm embarrassed about being depressed

Go down

I'm embarrassed about being depressed  Empty I'm embarrassed about being depressed

Post by PeekyB Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:45 pm

I'm embarrassed about being depressed and so I've been avoiding going to the doctors about it. i mean what am i supposed to say for starter? "Hi I feel really down can you help me?" I've not really been able to talk to anyone about this. I think there might be a social phobia or avoidant or something or other going on with me too. If anyone has some advice that would be great. I'd rather not have to speak to a doctor though..maybe a therapist?

PeekyB

Back to top Go down

I'm embarrassed about being depressed  Empty Re: I'm embarrassed about being depressed

Post by BeenThere Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:21 pm

If going to t therapist is easier for you then do that. You'll probably find that after speaking to him/her that you'll feel a bit easier about going to see a doctor. The problem is most therapists can't give you a prescription so you'll probably need to see a doc at some point. It sounds like you could do with some antidepressants. Your doc will be able to talk to you about some that also help with social phobia. Best of luck!

BeenThere

Back to top Go down

I'm embarrassed about being depressed  Empty Re: I'm embarrassed about being depressed

Post by MeToo Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:35 pm

I agree with BeenThere. You'll still probably need to speak to a doctor. Still, you will probably be more confident after speaking to a therapist. The most important thing is that you're doing something about it!

MeToo

Back to top Go down

Post by PeekyB Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:17 pm

So I've been to the doctor and got given an antidepressant called Citalipram. I've been on them for a week now but not noticed any difference. Well, maybe i've not been focussing so intensely on the negative as much. The doc did say it could take a while for the meds to start working properly.

Thanks both for your help and advice. It made it a bit easier to go see the doctor. I'll make sure I post again on this thread with an update.

PeekyB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum