YourMentalHealth.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can't connect with people

Go down

Can't connect with people Empty Can't connect with people

Post by Distant Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:34 pm

So I read this and can totally relate to it. Anyone else feel this way?

"So I realize that I have an inability to form genuine connections with other people, fall in love, and feel loved. I felt nothing for my immediate family growing up, still don't.

However, I do have a child, and after 5 years began feeling love for him.

The problem is that I do not believe that I'm naturally like this. I think I shut down as a kid because of an abusive upbringing, and never switched back on. I know people that have a sociopathic/psychopathic level of detachment, and they seem to have no problems with it. They are fine. But I feel empty inside, and pained by this detachment (black hole). I'm concerned that perhaps it's causing some neurotic behaviors of mine, in addition to aggression. Like I'm not fulfilling a human need and my brain is going haywire in consequence.

I'm wondering if there is any way to make peace with this state or treat it in any way. I've been told by a therapist that detachment is a defense mechanism (obviously) but nothing else besides "you need to connect with people more".  Rolling Eyes Useless $200 an hour advice, as this is deeply ingrained in me."

Distant

Back to top Go down

Can't connect with people Empty Re: Can't connect with people

Post by Kitty Katty Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:30 pm

I've felt like this at times in my life like when I was vulnerable i.e. unemployed or after a relationship but not felt like that all the time. That sounds horrible but I don't know if you felt like that would you even think it was horrible?

Kitty Katty

Back to top Go down

Post by Distant Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:57 am

Most of the time I don't feel anything. But when I do it is really overwhelming and I can't describe the feelings I'm having. I'm not even sure if they are feelings. It's more like a sensation.

Distant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down